Warning: These fact sheets are information only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This information only applies to NSW.
These resources have been produced with funding from NSW Office of Fair Trading.
Your rights and options in relation to Financial Hardship.
Getting a loan
Shopping for credit, getting a loan with someone else, going guarantor, using finance and mortgage brokers, your credit report, line of credit loans and home loans with redraw.
- Need a Loan? (Very general information – also available in Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and Samoan: see Multilingual Information)
- Before you borrow money
- Getting a loan with someone else
- Going Guarantor
- Your credit report
- Finance / Mortgage Brokers
- Line of credit loans and home loans with redraw
- Does the consumer credit code apply?
Problems with your loan
Your rights and options in relation to existing loans.
- Making a consumer credit insurance claim
- Dispute Resolution
- Family Breakdown and Debt (Very general information – also available in Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and Samoan : see Multilingual Information)
- How do I get copies of my loan documents?
- Repossession – car and other goods
- Can’t pay my phone debt
- Drowning in credit card debt
- Can’t pay your loan
- Can’t pay my electricity debt
Find out about common banking problems and how to get your dispute resolved.
- Unauthorised Transactions
- Pitfalls with Direct Debits from Cheque/Savings Accounts
- Pitfalls with Direct Debits from Credit Cards
Find out about Debt Collectors – what they can and can’t do.
The Local Court
What to do if you are being or have been sued in the Local Court for a debt.
- Struggling with a Debt (Very general information – also available in Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and Samoan : see Multilingual Information)
- Debt Recovery in the Local Court
- Enforcement of Debts in the Local Court
- Recovery of Old Debts
- The Sheriff and seizure of goods
- Making an application to pay by instalments
- Making an application to set aside judgment
- Filing a Defence
- Transferring to a Local Court Closer to You
- Filing a defence under the Limitation Act (NSW)
If you can’t pay your debts and you are considering bankruptcy, find out more about your options.
If you are having problems with insurance find out more about your options. You can also go to www.insurancelaw.org.au.
- Making a claim on car insurance
- What can I do if my car insurance claim is refused?
- I’ve had a car accident and I’m uninsured!
- Making a claim on home and contents insurance
- What can I do if my home and/or contents insurance claim is refused?
- Your Insurance Report
- Bushfire Insurance Guide
- Flood Insurance (NEW)
Find out your options if you’ve been sold tutoring products on finance.