These resources have been produced with funding from NSW Office of Fair Trading.
- Getting Help
Your rights and options in relation to Financial Hardship.
- Financial Hardship
- Mortgage Stress
- Mortgage Stress – do I need to sell my home?
- Superannuation Early Release
Getting a loan
Shopping for credit, getting a loan with someone else, going guarantor, using finance and mortgage brokers, your credit report, line of credit loans and home loans with redraw.
- Need a Loan? (Very general information – also available in Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and Samoan: see Multilingual Information)
- Before you borrow money
- Getting a loan with someone else
- Going Guarantor
- Your credit report
- Finance / Mortgage Brokers
- Line of credit loans and home loans with redraw
- Does the National Credit Law apply?
Problems with your loan
Your rights and options in relation to existing loans.
- Making a consumer credit insurance claim
- Dispute Resolution
- Family Breakdown and Debt (Very general information – also available in Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and Samoan : see Multilingual Information)
- How do I get copies of my loan documents?
- Repossession – car and other goods
- Can’t pay my phone debt
- Drowning in credit card debt
- Can’t pay your loan
- Can’t pay my electricity debt
Find out about common banking problems and how to get your dispute resolved.
- Unauthorised Transactions
- Direct Debits from Cheque/Savings Accounts
- Direct Debits from Credit Cards
Find out about Debt Collectors – what they can and can’t do.
- Dealing with Debt Collection
- Debtor Harassment
The Local Court
What to do if you are being or have been sued in the Local Court for a debt.
- Struggling with a Debt (Very general information – also available in Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and Samoan : see Multilingual Information)
- Debt Recovery in the Local Court
- Enforcement of Debts in the Local Court
- Recovery of Old Debts
- The Sheriff and seizure of goods
- Making an application to pay by instalments
- Making an application to set aside judgment
- Filing a Defence
- Transferring to a Local Court Closer to You
If you can’t pay your debts and you are considering bankruptcy, find out more about your options.
- Debt Agreements
If you are having problems with insurance find out more about your options. You can also go to www.insurancelaw.org.au.
- Making a claim on car insurance
- What can I do if my car insurance claim is refused?
- I’ve had a car accident and I’m uninsured!
- Making a claim on home and contents insurance
- What can I do if my home and/or contents insurance claim is refused?
- Your Insurance Report
- Bushfire Insurance Guide
- Flood Insurance (NEW)